Though both raised in small farm towns, LeiLani and Matt seem destined to meet. Matt had relocated several times for work and LeiLani has lived in Hawaii and traveled extensively to Hong Kong, Cambodia and Romania, yet they connected while back in her hometown of Yuba City. Perhaps you donât have to travel the world to find the boy next door!
Six months into dating, they would celebrate their half-year anniversary on a summer night by the river at Scottâs Seafood. âWe were gushing over each other and our crĂ¨me brĂťlĂŠe,â remembers LeiLani, âwhen he said, âyou ready to do this?â He asked me to stand up and nothing could prepare me for the time-stopping moment when he got down on one knee and said, âI love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?ââ Once she caught her breath and said yes, they walked along the riverfront with a magical full moon above them.
The couple decided on a retro, rockabilly -inspired shindig hosted at LeiLaniâs uncleâs car shop, complete with classic cars and a snap-on tool altar. âThere were superhero aspects throughout, as Matt is Superman, and I, of course, am Wonder Woman,â she smiles. âWe had a huge dance party with our kiddos and friends and family to finish off the festivities. It was themed, gorgeous and a total blast.â
LeiLani says she could not have done it without her fabulous vendors, or âfriendorsâ as she would come to call them. âBeing in the wedding industry for almost 10 years, it was a humbling and honoring experience being the bride and having them create my big beautiful day.â
The new bride says that her favorite moment of the day was that âfirst lookâ at her groom-to-be in the enchanted and romantic orchard.
âI walked toward him with the understanding that this was the man of my dreams who I get to spend the rest of my life with and raise our children withâit was so surreal and beautiful; then, when he turned around, time stood still. He is my home. When our eyes met, I knew I had finally come home.â
Leilani & Matt's Wedding Resources
Always Elegant Bridal & Tuxedo
Kona by the Sea in Kona, Hawaii
“You are the Best Thing” by Ray LaMontagne
The personal cake was like an adult ho-ho. Dark chocolate cake with marshmallow crĂ¨me filling. It was covered with White chocolate and black polka-dot fondant. We had little Lego Superman and Wonder Woman cake toppers. Our cupcakes were chocolate with marshmallow filling with cream cheese butter cream frosting, with black and white polka dot wrappers and sprinkles. The kids had red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and they were decorated with Superman and Wonder Woman rings.
Special and unique moments:
- Having a blended family, we wanted this to be a marriage ceremony celebrating the union of our two families. We had the kids each read a part of I Corinthians 13, the Love chapter, and my 4-year-old ended it with âLove never fails.âÂ We took communion as a family and made vows to each otherâŚit was so significant and really special.
- My dad (very traditional and Persian) who officiated, ended it with âYou may shake the brideâs handâ and then âyou have to kiss me first,â so we kissed his bald little Iranian head and then finally got to kiss each other â it was hilarious!
- Sarah Maren Photographers: You cannot get a more fantastic, fabulous, artistic, brilliant and hilarious quality photographer anywhere â they just donât exist. From our superhero skyscraper show stopping engagement pics to capturing our wedding so beautifully, I just cry when I look at the photos. Sarah goes above and beyond capturing the moment; she tells the story of your love and shows you how breathtaking it really is. She outdoes herself every time. Iâm the luckiest girl ever to have her capture my lifeâs more important moments.
- Shannon from Flourish: I had no idea what art flowers were until Shannon started sketching and scheming away until this creation appeared that completed my wedding day dreams even more vividly than Iâd imagined. Her sweet and sassy personality makes it so easy to say what youâd like but trust her to give you the overall look youâre going for even if you donât know how to say it. Her designs are so unique to the personality of the client. Iâve never felt more understood than when she handed my unbelievable bridal broach bouquet that completely embodies who I am. Sheâs an incredible artist.
- Geoff and Lisa Bardot from The Goodness brought their cute perky and perfectly wonderful selves to the scene with cameras in hand ready to tell our “Brady Bunch” story on film. They are punctual, adorable and so very professional, but the way they captured the heart and soul of our individual stories and families, and made it into a breathtaking keepsakeâŚIâm forever indebted. Best gift I could ask for. I adore these two and have come to expect nothing but the extraordinary from The Goodness. I would advise make a wedding video âmandatory,â understanding that itâs the most important moment in your life together, and to capture that timelessly is irreplaceable. I will have my childrenâs age, voice, faces frozen for a moment in timeâŚand the ceremony that made us a family, and the celebration of the full circle redemption of it allâŚwhat a keepsake.
- Bree Gianassi Little from Always Elegant Bridal & Tuxedo: Her expertise and customer service is unprecedented, and it’s a bonus that she’s a dear friend of mine. I was overwhelmed to have the âmomentâ that every little girl dreams of when I donned my ’50s-style tea length sweetheart necked white frock, where I caught my breath at the sight of myself expressed perfectly in a wedding dress. It was âmeâ and it was perfect and she picked it out. Itâs a charming boutique experience unlike anything else youâll find locally or otherwise.
- The Amazing Kate from Kate Miller Events was involved from the beginning and was instrumental in deciding to go for it and make it happen in a total of just eight weeks!!! Couldn’t have pulled it off without her. She helped me come up with the concept and design, and walked me through the details down to the big day and the moment that we got in the getaway car and breathed a sigh of blissful relief that all had been executed beautifully and precisely what we dreamed of. Kate Miller Events is the best there is.
This is my second time around and I feel like that gave me the advantage to know what really matters and what not to worry about. The great thing about weddings these days is that you are given artistic license to express your personality and preferences freely. Have a party, be yourself, show your true colors loudly, and enjoy the celebration aspect of the wedding.
We wouldn’t have done anything differently. It was an amazing celebration and our kids said that it was “best day of their lives!” My 4-year-old, MiaBella, came running into my room the morning of the wedding, exclaiming, “Today’s the day we’re getting married!” and it was!